Missouri Pork Association’s Internship Program
The Missouri Pork Association’s Internship Program involves off-campus training to develop personal, organizational and public relations skills and experience. Written reports required.
Junior standing and advisor’s consent.
The student must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 and completed at least two years (four semesters) of college courses, demonstrated maturity and sincerity towards the program, and be deemed acceptable by both MPA and the cooperating college.
- Provide educational experiences which are directly related to curricula and student’s goals.
- Develop student awareness of employment demands, responsibilities and opportunities.
- Provide potential career experiences with an opportunity for continuing formal education.
- Provide an opportunity for the student to apply principles and techniques learned in the classroom to problem-solving situations in order to gain a better understanding of the decision-making and implementing process.
2024 Spring & Fall Semester Interns – Each intern will be paid $525 on the 15th and last day of each month for the internship period. This is based on working an average of 15 hours per week. Adjustments may be made to the payment schedule at the discretion of MPA if the full pay period is not worked. MPA will work with the student and their advisor to secure credit hours if it is so desired.
2024 Summer Semester Intern – The summer intern is a full time position (40 hours per week). The intern will receive $1,360 on the 15th and last day of each month during the internship period. Adjustments may be made to the payment schedule at the discretion of MPA if the full pay period is not worked. MPA will work with the student and their advisor to secure credit hours if it is so desired.
If credit hours are being applied for, students will be evaluated and graded by the MPA, in coordination with such other university parties who may be involved.
MPA is now accepting applicants for the 2024 internship program.
- Eligible students will file an application (click here for pdf of application) with the MPA, plus include three letters of recommendation, by November 20, 2023.
- The MPA will review the applications, conduct interviews, and make selections by December 2, 2023.
- A student whose application has been approved will work with the MPA and his or her faculty advisor to work out the internship, including a plan of action, timetable and financial arrangements.
- Student intern will be reimbursed for lodging and travel expenses in accordance with MPA policy. The student intern will not be an employee, nor be covered by MPA insurance.
Meet the 2023 Interns here.
Internship Goals and Objectives
The items listed here are not final. Interns may be asked to work on additional projects, as assigned.
General Internship Goals and Objectives
- Gain educational experiences which are directly related to curricula and student’s goals.
- Develop awareness of employment demands, responsibilities and opportunities.
- Gain potential career experiences with an opportunity for continuing formal education.
- Apply principles and techniques learned in the classroom to problem-solving situations in order to gain a better understanding of the decision-making and implementing process.
Spring Semester Intern
- Manage the Missouri Pork Expo Auction, both live and silent. Involves gathering and tracking all donations, creation of auction book for live auction. Attend entire Expo. Keep complete records of donations and buyers at auction.
- Work with Director of Communications on MPA Youth Show Pig Circuit auction items.
- Work with MPA membership on any needed projects.
- Participate and assist with Taste of Elegance events.
- Assist with In the Show Ring Trade Show Scavenger Hunt during the Missouri Pork Expo.
- Begin planning of the Missouri Pork Classic Golf Tournament.
- The summer intern position will focus on a variety of Association activities. The summer intern may be required to attend the World Pork Expo in Des Moines, Iowa for one week, working with national pork industry staff.
- Attend MPA Youth Show Pig Circuit jackpot shows and assist with fundraising auction.
- Manage the Missouri Youth Pork Institute in conjunction with the University of Missouri-Columbia. Assist in all aspects of planning, organizing and post-event follow up. Stay with Institute attendees throughout the event, and prepare a presentation for one night at the MPA office. Develop a test covering discussed topics for attendees. Create t-shirt design and have printed.
- Manage all aspects of the Missouri Pork Association’s annual Swine Health Symposium. Work with University of Missouri-Columbia to obtain speakers, plan event, mail to prospective attendees, maintain attendee list, post-event follow up, etc. Prepare and present information from the National Pork Board.
- Manage all aspects of the Missouri Pork Classic Golf Tournament. Includes soliciting players and sponsors, sending mailings, keeping records of payments, maintain attendee list, post-event follow up, and complete a detailed financial report after event.
- Attend and participate in various events during the Missouri State Fair. This includes, but is not limited to, assisting with the Swine Skillathon, managing the Swine Judging Contest, working with the Specialty Ham Curing Contest and Pork Demonstrations Contest, attending events during Legislator’s Day and the Sale of Champions, conduct cooking demonstrations, assist with catering events, securing plaques and supplies, and working at the Pork Place.
Fall Semester Intern
- Assist with MPA membership drive, educational events and other needed projects.
- Assist with Missouri Pork Today annual magazine, including writing articles, researching, etc.
- Secure judges for district FFA Pork Speaking Contest competitions.
- Participate and assist with any Taste of Elegance events.
- Attend allied industry meetings/trade shows when necessary.
- Work with Executive Director to plan Swine Institute.
- Compile survey results from Pork Place at the Missouri State Fair.
- Assist with obtaining MPA Youth Show Pig Circuit sponsors.